This Recap covers all aspects of Car Security: driving safety tips, parking lot safety, carjacking, ambushes, and road rage.
• Parking lot safety means staying alert and walking while holding pepper spray and personal security alarm (noisemaker or screamer) raised and ready on your keychain, in full view to deter any predator looking for easy prey.
• Lock the doors as soon as you enter and keep windows closed – then immediately drive away.
• Always keep your car locked – even if you’re just running a quick errand.
• To avoid carjackings: always be aware of your surroundings and have an escape route. If a suspicious person approaches, blare the horn or drive away. If it's too late, give up your property without resistance.
• To avoid the road rage of another driver: drive considerately of others and respond passively to an aggressive driver.
• When outdoors, follow the safety tips in Outdoor Safety - Overview.
• Drive to Survive! by Curt Rich. MBI
• How to Protect Yourself from Crime by Ira Lipman. Readers Digest Books
• Road Rage to Road Wise by John Larson and Carol Rodriguez. Thomas Doherty & Associates
• Strong on Defense by SWAT-team instructor Sgt. Sanford Strong. Pocket Books
• Tough Target by detective Lt. J.J. Bittenbinder. Running Press