Workplace Safety Tips: Recap of workplace harassment, bullying, crimes of passion, and personal safety tips.
Safety in the workplace requires:
• Defusing a conflict by calmly finding out what the other person wants, not blaming others or calling names, and working together to create options that will satisfy both parties.
• Not humiliating or challenging anyone if tempers flare anyway.
• Never ignoring any threat. Threats (by an unarmed person) are expressions of intent to inflict harm – almost always made by someone desperately distraught.
• Building a safety net before you need it.
• The Anatomy of Motive: The FBI's Legendary Mindhunter Explores the Key to Understanding and Catching Violent Criminals by John E. Douglas and Mark Olshaker.
• “Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In by Roger Fisher
• 150 Things You Should Know About Workplace Security by Louis A. Tyska and Lawrence J. Fennelly.
• Risky Business: Managing Employee Violence in the Workplace by Dr. Lynne McClure.
• The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has a free 20-minute video of safety strategies, “Violence on the Job”. Call 800-321-OSHA (6742) to get OSHA products or advice, file a complaint, or report an emergency.